iLiKETRAiNS lineup change.

All things I LIKE TRAINS

Moderators: iLiKESARDiNES, Dave iLT, Samm

Lieutenant Henry Bowers

iLiKETRAiNS lineup change.

Postby Broken Pixel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Hello,

It is my sad duty to inform you that i have been told my services are no longer required by iLiKETRAiNS. As me and Dave agreed when he and Guy broke the news, it makes sense in some ways and sucks in others.

These last (almost) 5 years have been a rollercoaster ride. From the first nervously exciting gig at the vine to the sore heads and speed boat rides of last weeks Norwegian adventure, we have experienced inordinate amounts of fun, excitement, disappointment, differing opinions, hard work and camaraderie. I'm sure the band will carry on in this vein, just one accident prone, forgetful, cornet abusing, image making member lighter.

These are the 10 most important things i have experienced in iLiKETRAiNS.

1. Seeing a smile directed at me from the crowd at our British Sea Power support at the Roadhouse, Manchester.

2. Travelling the world as part of a fun loving, rock making group of friends.

3. (Hopefully) providing you, our fans, some moments of entertainment and thought through my films, record covers and on stage activities.

4. Learning a multitude of lessons during the tumultuous months of producing a feature length animated film.

5. Enjoying my first film premier and being able to sit back and be proud of getting through those tumultuous months with a flawed yet ambitiously realised filmas an end result.

6. Seeing the crumbling insides of the music business first hand, and being part of a band that were fortunate and tenacious enough to still be able make some records we could be proud of.

7. Witness the skill, talent, hard work, debate and creative endeavour it takes to make an iLiKETRAiNS record. I wish i could have been a more integral part to the recording process.

8. Seeing a record cover i had designed and produced on the shelves of record shops all over the world. This was a lifelong ambition ticked off the list.

9. Making my parents proud as they saw us at countless shows and vicariously lived out some of their ambitions through my (humble) rock and roll lifestyle.

10. Riding a speedboat at 100kph whilst listening to Duran Duran's Rio down a Norwegian Fjord.

So I thank iLiKETRAiNS for the years of experience they gave me. I wish them well in their future career, although it will be painful to track some of the highlights i'm sure.

And thank you to all of you who read and contribute to this message board, your enthusiastic words and conversations have been extremely valuable over the years and I hope some of you will continue to be interested in the work i do.

Goodbye from Ashley iLT and hello from Ashley.
Increment x Increment

Roald Engelbregt Gravning Amundsen

Re: iLiKETRAiNS lineup change.

Postby lean meat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Not sure what to say really- nothing seems fitting in the situation- only to say that I for one will miss your valuable contributions to ILT's live performance and image and hope that this is not the end of the collaboration forever- I feel a bit like when Eamon left BSP now so will go and drown my sorrows in some nice pictures of blokes in loincloths- I wish you well for whatever happens next and say keep up the good work on the film front- so refreshing in this day and age of CGI to see a craftsman at work still.
x

ps the roadhouse gig was something else- you blew BSP off the stage that night
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

Postby Paranoid Android » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:37 pm

This is sad news indeed, I'm not sure what I think about the prospect of a cornet-less iLiKETRAiNS...

Even so, you have helped to produce some of the best music I've heard for years, and I wish you all the best wherever you may go next.
Mondays is for drinking to the seldom seen kid.

Postby Blackout » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:54 pm

The Roadhouse was indeed one of the best iLT gigs I've seen. Maybe the best. We were all really happy to see you there cos the night before in that horrible sea-fort thing it didn't look like your dodgy finger had much life left in it... (I won't post the picture in case anyone's eating, but click here...)

I'm really gutted about this. It's not really like Eamon leaving BSP because much as we loved Eamon, his contribution to the band mostly involved what we in Manchester call "Bezzing". (And admittedly that wasn't as much of a shock).

To me, Ashley was very much at the core of the iLT experience; the films and projections, cornet lines which did make a difference (at the time I first saw iLT I seemed to be seeing about 5 bands a week doing variants on swirly post-rock-indie and I rapidly became bored with any that didn't have something unique in there). I probably would not have gone to see them another 22 times.

You'll be missed, hairy man. :(

cath xx
.. - / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ..-. .. -. -.. / -.-- --- ..-

Postby iLiKESARDiNES » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:24 pm

This is shocking. I'm not sure what to make of this. I guess I just want to say thank you for all of your contributions to the band. Your cornet saved many a song on the latest album. Your visions for the songs helped add a layer of depth and understanding to the music. I imagine we won't ever know the full story behind why you were asked to leave, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm both sad and angry about this.

I also must say that an iLT without Ashley iLT just feels wrong. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but right now it doesn't feel right. Over the last year, I've had a lot of mixed feelings about Elegies. I remember when I final received the DVD and watched it for the first time. The whole thing finally made sense to me. The songs I would normally skip would no longer skip. I would watch and listen and begin to understand. This is what's so difficult for me. I wonder how iLT can continue without this vision. I'm also reminded of the first time I really loved iLT. That was after watching the video for Terra Nova. I had one of those "I need everyone I know to see this" moments. It was (and still is) just perfect.

I will miss your work with iLT Ashley. I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Please keep us updated on what you are doing. I think you can expect a number of us to follow you as long as we know where you are.

Take care.
For all things iLT:
thisgreenandpleasantland.com

Recent Tracks:

Captain Robert Falcon Scott

Postby Leszek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 pm

I just thought that today is April fool's day...

I can't believe this...

So what now? iLT will be without live projections?

Anyway, good luck Ash! I will surely be tracking your graphics activity. I hope that despite of your quit from the band it won't be an end of your cooperation with iLT, especially in the video and projections matter.

Postby Cletus from Canuckistan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:30 am

I've been putting off writing a response all day. I think I'll have to put it off some more. I don't what to say. Gutted.
I so hope that collaboration of some sort can continue, for me it's the visuals and videos as much as the music, lyric and subject matter that drew me in to iLT.

Captain Lawrence Oates

Postby no-one » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:09 am

What about the football?

i'm available
........THINK OF A NUMBER

Postby Dave iLT » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:09 pm

hi,

I understand that this has come as something of a shock to some of you, and that it can be quite frustrating not to know the reasons why this decision has been made. As is often the case, these things are rarely black and white, and I couldn't even begin to explain on a public forum. For this I apologise. However, our main concern currently is that Ashley understands and accepts our reasoning. Ashley, Guy and I, had a very positive meeting on Thursday evening, and from what was said then, and from what Ash has written in his post above, I am happy that that is the case. We have left things on the best possible terms. We are still friends, and the door remains open for future collaborations.

I would like to stress that this decision wasn't made lightly. We firmly believe that this is the best route forwards, not only for iLT but also for Broken Pixel. As a member of iLT, Ash was afforded very little time for other projects. We hope that this opens the door for him to go on to bigger and better things, and to complete projects that have been on the back burner for the last 5 years. We appreciate all he has contributed to iLT, he will be sorely missed by us.

It is hard that these things by the nature of being in a band play out to certain extent in public. We appreciate your patience and understanding, at what is a genuinely difficult and emotional time for all concerned.

x
jEGLiKERTOG

Postby brammelaar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

I don't really know what to say.
I am sad.

But I foremost wish everyone the best. If you all think this is the best thing to do, than I'm not the one to argue that in any way.

I will miss you Ash. I hope you will keep us informed about Broken Pixel and future exhibitions.
And I hope you will keep making videos/movies for iLT. You know how much I adore them.

Thank you for everything you have given us; the nice chats, friendliness, great visuals, beautiful trumpetting, emotions-shattering experiences, etc etc etc.

As other have said you were a great part of the iLT experience and I wonder what iLT will sound like without you.
Your physician can't save you now.

Next

Return to I LIKE TRAINS